The first things I worked on when I got back into the dye studio about ten days ago were large pieces for the backs of two quilts. Above is a light blue and green piece prepared for a queen-sized quilt. I'm happy with it now, but it took two rounds of dyeing. No pfd (prepared for dyeing) fabric comes wide enough to make a large one-piece backing, so I used a regular bleached muslin. I forgot to factor in how much paler the colors turn out on this non-pfd fabric; the first pass, below, was just too light.
After I told a couple of people, "If it was for the front, I'd do it again," I realized I should do it again. This quilt will be on my own bed, and I know I'll be seeing the back as well as the top. So I overdyed the whole thing with more blue, and I am happy with the results--still light but much more pleasing:
Yes, the back will be a nice companion to the top:
Now this quilt is ready to baste up, in preparation for the hand-quilting I have planned.
Next in line was the back for a quilt that was pieced by my group of quilting friends, a quilt that will be donated to help with a fundraiser for the Loretto Center, where we have our annual retreats. For this back, I dyed a circular pattern, done by folding the fabric as one would for cutting snowflakes from a piece of paper.
Below is the back with part of the top pinned to it. The rust color is fine, but the gold color is not fully on target. I could improve this by overdyeing the whole thing with a small amount of red and blue. The fundraiser is a long time off, so I'll put this aside for now.
I do love the color movement that happens in this kind of dyeing:
I also tray-dyed two shirts--so easy to do compared to the big backs! One is a three-quarter length sleeve from Chico's that my sister got on sale. She picked colors and a pattern that I had used on a T-shirt for myself. Here's her shirt (on the left) and mine (on the right). I'm delighted that I was able to reproduce the color/design quite successfully!
I had some black and red dye left over, and it occurred to me in would be interesting to try out another shirt with the proportion of the colors reversed. I tried this out on one of the many shirts I picked up at Salvation Army last summer. I like this combination too: