Beginning in January, I took a ten-week 2-D Design class at the college where I used to teach, which kept me away from blogging for a few months. I did continue to work on textiles as well (the course work was mostly in the computer lab), but I didn't have the time/motivation to write up what I was doing. I plan to do a post about some of the work from the design class, but right now, I want to get up some photos of log-cabin blocks in different settings. I've made 80 blocks, which will go into a wedding quilt for one of my son's best friends, Matt and his wife Autumn. They chose the colors from their wedding (which was some months ago)--scarlet and gray. I had a large trove of hand-dyed gray fabric leftover from "Holiness," but gave them a choice between commercial prints and hand-dyed fabric for the reds. They chose the hand-dyes.
hand-dyed fabrics versus commercial prints
Today I've been playing with different settings for the blocks. Many different arrangements are possible for log-cabin quilts. I tried a few others beyond those below, but these 5 are my favorites. Now Matt and Autumn get to choose! (I haven't used all 80 blocks in any of these trials, so the actual quilt will be expanded from these.)