July 18, 2010

Small stone piece finished



I finished up a small piece I posted about on May 20. It doesn't look very different in its finished form, because all I did was stitch on the dark gray border, quilt in-the-ditch with invisible thread in some of the interior lines, and finish with a faced binding. Perhaps the border should be quilted. But somehow the starkness of the piece, without quilting, is what I want. The shape suggests a tomb to me.

Here's the back, which shows how minimal the quilting is, and also shows the method of faced binding with curved inner corners that I learned from my friend Mary Beth:


Below is a photo of several of the various things I've done on the theme of stones. The top right is a paper collage, posted about here, bottom left is a piece done with my hand-painted fabric, posted about here, and the bottom right is just a trial, may or may not go further, the stone made from my hand-dyed fabric and the background fabric from Janet Smith. All of them in the vicinity of about 15" wide.

4 comments:

  1. I think it really has depth, too, Penny. It feels like we're being pulled into another space or dimension. Very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the oblique shape!

    Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the starkness of this piece and the subtlety of the color palette.

    ReplyDelete