March 12, 2021

Half-Square Triangles and Flying Geese



Although I haven't posted since August of last year, I've been thinking about posting. I've even started a half-dozen posts, all still waiting to be finished or discarded. And wondered why I wasn't finishing any of them. I think it's because I've been holding back on writing publicly about a difficult piece. Nothing to do but to go ahead and write it. But to warm up, I'll write about a couple of simpler pieces I've finished in the last few months.

Simpler in the sense that there's no complex emotion behind these quilts, just a love of shape and color, and enjoyment of the design challenge of coming up with a pleasing whole.

The quilt below began about a year and a half ago when I happened to have out on the table some blue/turquoise/teal batiks from my stash. These are all leftovers from making Shelter. The fabrics looked lovely gathered together. I cut some up into half-square triangles, liked how they looked, and cut up the rest of the fabric into squares, ready to make HSTs. This fall I sewed the blocks, working up a design for a quilt for a friend.  I was thinking of having the squares all contiguous to each other, as I had done for other HST quilts, like this one, or the second and third photos in this post. But my friend suggested adding in some black. What a good idea! It really makes the turquoise glow.



After finishing this quilt, I started on a quilt using another simple, standard quilting block--flying geese. I've not used this block much, because its design (in its classic form) relies on precise piecing, necessary to get precise point. Precision piecing is not a strong point of mine, so I generally avoid it. I did make one flying geese quilt with improvisation rather than precision, which came out very well. But I was recently introduced to a specialty ruler that makes it really simple to up-size the block and then trim them accurately to size. I don't usually buy specialty rulers--just more money spent on something you can usually do with the normal quilters' rulers. But this ruler is definitely worth it! The quilt design comes straight from a pattern called "Remixed Geese," offered free by the Robert Kaufman company. I followed the pattern quite closely, changing the orientation of geese only in a few places.


I had a bin of fabrics that were "white with one other color" that I had collected for another quilt, and the leftovers
were perfect for this quilt. I paired these fabrics with solids, both commercial and hand-dyed.

I made extra blocks, to give me flexibility in placement; this gave me enough leftover blocks to make a baby quilt as well. This gave a home for a few problem blocks that didn't make the cut into the larger quilt, blocks that didn't have enough contrast between the "goose" (big triangle) and the "sky" (2 small triangles): the yellow print and solid blocks at left and bottom, and the blocks that use orange fabric with large white polka dots in upper right and lower left.





 


 


 






5 comments:

  1. Nice quilts. The links didn't work and I was thinking there was going to me more????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, links worked when I checked them, so I'm not sure what else to do. And yes, this is the end of the post. More to come about the difficult work before long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the blues and teal - right up my alley! Also, the geese look like a great way to use up stash ( not that I have any of that...)

      Delete
  3. In the top quilt, the colors are lovely together! And I agree about the turquoise pieces glowing...The dark blues make me think about the beautiful stained glass window in your kitchen. I can't remember if that stained glass piece contains any turquoise.


    Your "remixed geese" quilt makes me a little dizzy, but all the colors together are so energetic. Love it!

    And the baby quilt will hide a lot of stains....

    ReplyDelete
  4. The links worked for me. Love these, especially the blues and teals and the baby quilt, which gives me an idea of one to make for my niece, who is expecting. And thanks for the links, which led me to go back and read through more of your older posts, which I always find inspiring and useful.

    ReplyDelete