April 29, 2021

Project #2: Homage to Ellsworth Kelly, II

Back in 2013, I made a small quilt,  "Homage to Ellsworth Kelly," working from his paintings of colorful squares. You can see an example of one of Kelly's such paintings in the top row of the stamps put out not long ago by USPS--wish I had purchased more!

After studying a number of Kelly's paintings of squares, I decided to use multiple bright colors, along with both white and black, and to place the squares so that value contrasts dominate, but to also have some places where two adjacent squares are close in value. Here's the quilt I made, 36"x36."


For quite a while, I've had a photocopied image of another piece by Kelly on my bulletin board, "Brushstrokes Cut into Forty-Nine Squares and Arranged by Chance." 


Recently it occurred to me that I had on hand some fabric that might work well for a quilt based on this idea. I had dyed a couple of yards of cotton/linen blend in dark charcoal, but it came out less mottled than I wanted it, so had set it aside. I also had a large supply of the heavy natural linen that I used for Words Spoken. So I did some sample blocks with these fabrics, and decided to go forward with a large project. I'm making blocks that will finish at 7" square, and I'm planning on a queen-size quilt (91x112"), which will need 208 blocks. (In contrast, Kelly's entire piece is only 14" square, which surprised me--it seems large-scale to me, but instead it's small and delicate.)

The appeal to me of this kind of work is the combination of intent and chance. Kelly's original brushstrokes were made with some level of intent: making lines both thick and thin, curved and straight, and pulling the brush in long strokes across a page.  But then he cut the paper up into squares, with no attention to where in a line's path the cuts fell, and then he arranged the squares by chance. 

Kelly's piece is the starting point for my quilt, but my materials dictated a somewhat different method. Cutting and sewing in fabric strips makes for a different kind of line, and gestures made this way are not as free as a line made with a brush. And rather than making one large drawing and cutting it into 49 squares, the most I can do is work a strip that will be cut into two blocks. I've been doing that for about half the blocks, but if I want to include a pronounced curve, or some intersecting lines, then I work on just one block at a time, and do a more intentional composition. So, there's less randomness within the blocks than Kelly achieved. And although I initially put the blocks up on the wall randomly, as they are each completed, I do then step back and rearrange to get something that pleases me. This is a very enjoyable part of the process, seeing the different ways the lines can relate to each other. Did Kelly really arrange the squares totally randomly, without moving any squares? If so, what will power!

Once I made a few dozen blocks, I tried out different arrangements. The first is closest to Kelly's drawing:


Then I wondered what it would be like if I added in a few squares that flipped the black/tan relationship, and I like the result:


And then I wondered, what if I introduced more black still, isolating each of the blocks within a black grid:


I like this also, but the plan is to go with the second arrangement--some scattered black blocks, but no black sashing. Below is progress so far, with placement very provisional. The width will be as is; the length will go down past the bottom of the design wall, so I'll have to work on this in two sections. I've made several more blocks since this photo, so I'm now about 1/3 done. Some days I make a couple of blocks, some days as many as four. I'm taking it slow, enjoying watching the design in each block take shape. This is not a project conducive to production-line piecing.


Here's a close-up of part of one block, so you can see the texture of the linen. It's a loosely woven fabric, so I starch each block heavily before trimming it to size. (Click on the image if you'd like to see it larger.)


One other issue I've thought about: Are my two "Homage to Ellsworth Kelly" quilts too close to Kelly? Am I copying or making something new? Is it OK to make work this close to another artist's? A few thoughts:
  • Studying the work of other artists is a key part of learning to make art. Looking really closely at Kelly's, figuring out compositional elements that are central to the work, helps me understand key elements of composition such as color and line, and how to use them.
  • Copying the works exactly would likely have taught me even more, and art students are sometimes asked to do this as an exercise. But I was interested in making something that built on Kelly, while still developing into my own work. I have gone further in that direction in the second homage than the first.
  • If I ever do another exhibition of my work, I wouldn't include these quilts, given that they are derivative rather than more fully original. Not that anything is 100% "original," if you study at all the work of other artists, but there are degrees. 
  • To make my source clear, I have given both of these quilts the title of "Homage to Ellsworth Kelly," and I hope the recipients will enjoy looking at the work of the artist who inspired them, as well as the quilt.
And here's another, somewhat similar quilt that's a step further from being original work, a quilt that I made in 2015 from the "Glyphs" pattern by Modern Quilt Studio (issue 9 of their magazine). 


Being done from a pattern, much was decided by the authors of the pattern, although I did change the colors and sashing width and left off the borders. And while the pattern authors gave samples of "glyphs," they encouraged makers to create their own. Still, no mistaking that this is a quilt I made from a pattern created by someone else. 

Comparing the design of this with my second "Homage to Ellsworth Kelly" quilt: While there's much similarity in the construction, this quilt has straight lines only, and each block is a composition unto itself. The narrow sashing keeps each block distinct, so one doesn't get the feeling of connection that happens when there's no sashing, and when the lines include some curves.














8 comments:

  1. As the recipient of one of these pieces eventually, I am both interested in your process and the eventual outcome. One aspect that I am not sure you have thought of, but that I love about the black brushstrokes on the tan linen being on a quilt that will be on a bed is that the curved lines suggest in a very oblique way the outlines of the human body. The broken lines due to the "random" placement of the blocks further fragment the lines in a way that I think both abstracts and heightens the effect. You get what almost looks like obscured glimpses of the forms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant! You're right, I hadn't thought of the connection to human body forms, but now that you say that it seems so clearly there, and as you say, very appropriate for a bed quilt! I was certainly thinking of organic line, rather than straight lines, but not any further than that. Now you've got me thinking of Matisse cut outs: https://www.theartsection.com/matisse-cut-outs

      Delete
    2. I remember having several Mattise cut out posters in my Albuquerque houses. Can't remember if they were my father's or mothers though.

      Delete
  2. I like the addition of the black squares with tan lines (and the idea of the lines echoing body curves). I think your work is like a jazz riff on Kelly's composition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Lori. I like the addition of the black squares as well. I really love this piece and I don't see this as a copy. The is no original, we all get idea from others. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It definitely feels like an original art work inspired by another artist, not derivative. I poetry a poem like this might say “after Pablo Neruda,” say, or include a note that gives the source of inspiration.

    I hope this isn’t too basic of a question, but am I correct that you cut up strips of the dark cotton/linen and then pieced them into the lighter colored linen (or vice versa with the reverse blocks)? Some of the lines are so very thin I can’t imagine how you did this. Especially with line .

    ReplyDelete
  5. That should have read “linen” at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have appropriately given credit to the inspiration but taken views of your own. Celebrate!

    ReplyDelete