July 6, 2023

Final Post on "Homage to Ellsworth Kelly II" (originally posted January 1, 2023)


I started this quilt in the spring of 2021 and finished it in the fall of 2022. The quilt presented some challenges along the way, especially in working with the heavy, loosely woven linen and in quilting, but I am very pleased with the final result, and so, happily, are the recipients! The quilt is 90 x 94", made for a queen-size bed. The central medallion covers the top of the mattress, and the three plain borders drop over the side and bottom edges.

When I last wrote about the quilt, in June, I had decided to set aside the free-motion quilting I'd been planning on (which would have been in the tan only, not in the black) and to try straight-line quilting instead. [Here's a link to that old post; you can read the content in this "back end" version, but links to other posts will not work.] I usually prefer straight-line quilting, but for this quilt, I was worried about having thread visible in the black cloth--any thread light enough to blend with the tan linen would show up too much on the black. But then I remembered a kind of thread I hadn't used in a while, Invisafil, which is a very thin (100 wt) polyester thread that is colored, and yet blends in with a range of colors/values of fabric, much more so that the 50 wt cotton thread I normally use. I had stopped using Invisafil because it kept breaking in the new machine I bought several years ago, but I thought it was worth another try. To my delight, I had no trouble with breakage, and the charcoal gray color that I had on hand blended well with both the tan and the black, despite the large contrast of value between them:


Once washed, the thread sinks into the fabric, and just looks like a shadow made by the quilted line.


I'm definitely glad I went with the straight-line quilting, rather than free motion--here's the earlier trial piece with free-motion:


I wrote previously about the work it took to dye fabric for the back. I'm happy with the color I ended up with, and plan to keep some on hand for use in other projects. I also used it for the end panels on a couple of pillowcases I made for possible use with the quilt (body is from fabric by Marcia Derse).



So, a fond farewell to this quilt!



1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful quilt! I love Ellsworth Kelly and once used one of his compositions as inspiration for several quilts. I think any quilter could happily devote the rest of her life to adapting Kelly's shapes and patterns to fabric.

    ReplyDelete